LNER 0-6-0 ‘7510’ J15 Class

R3380
Hornby

LNER 0-6-0 ‘7510’ J15 Class

  • Length 218mm
  • DCC Type DCC Ready
  • Livery LNER
  • Class J15
  • Designer T.W. Worsdell
  • Detail Removable Coal Load and Diecast Boiler
  • Motor 5 Pole & Twin Flywheel
  • Purpose Mixed Traffic
  • Wheel Configuration 0-6-0
  • Special Features
  • NEM Couplings
  • Sprung Buffers

More details

In stock

£ 109.90

More info

LNER 0-6-0 ‘7510’ J15 Class

  • Length 218mm
  • DCC Type DCC Ready
  • Livery LNER
  • Class J15
  • Designer T.W. Worsdell
  • Detail Removable Coal Load and Diecast Boiler
  • Motor 5 Pole & Twin Flywheel
  • Purpose Mixed Traffic
  • Wheel Configuration 0-6-0
  • Special Features
  • NEM Couplings
  • Sprung Buffers

Designed by T.W Worsdell, the GER Class Y14 (LNER Class J15) was his solution to the lack of suitable freight locomotives available on the Doncaster route. The first Y14s were built in July 1883, and they became the Great Eastern Railway’s most common locomotive type, with a total of 259 being built in 27 batches.

The secret of their success was their simple design and in 1891, the Great Eastern Railway set the world record for erecting a steam locomotive, No. 930 being assembled at Stratford in just 9 hours and 45 minutes. Hauling both freight and passenger stock and with a very low axle loading, they could run virtually anywhere on the Great Eastern’s network.

Withdrawals from service started to take place during the early 1920s, seventeen disappearing before Grouping in 1923. As the numbers of locomotives reduced, the roles assigned to the J15s by the LNER changed, local freight and cross-country passenger services became typical. Rarely allocated outside East Anglia, scrapping of the class recommenced in 1947, just 71 engines making it through to Nationalisation, the last four being withdrawn from service on September 16, 1962.

Locomotive 7510 was built to order I45 at Stratford during May 1899 and was one of the forty three engines sent to the Western Front during the First World War. Renumbered as LNER 5430 in November 1946, the locomotive took the number of 65430 on nationalisation whilst at Ipswich shed and was finally withdrawn from service in January 1956 having served 56 years, 8 months and 1 day.