T-18 Boarhound Armoured Car

DW-US017
Die Waffenkammer

T-18 Boarhound Armoured Car

Very fine resin WW II military vehicle kit, in 1/56 scale (28mm). Needs to be assembled and painted. Crew figure and stowage included.

Master by Richard Humble.

The T18 Boarhound was an American h...

More details

In stock

£ 30.00

More info

T-18 Boarhound Armoured Car

Very fine resin WW II military vehicle kit, in 1/56 scale (28mm). Needs to be assembled and painted. Crew figure and stowage included.

Master by Richard Humble.

The T18 Boarhound was an American heavy armoured car produced in small numbers for the British Army during the Second World War.

In July 1941 the US Army Ordnance Corps issued specifications for a heavy armored car (along with another specification for a medium armored car, which resulted in the T17 Armored Car) to be built for supply to the British. The prototype was developed in 1942 by the Yellow Coach Company.

It was large 8x8 (eight wheels, all driven; called an ''eight-by-eight'') vehicle with four front wheels used for steering. Thick armor brought the weight to 26 tons, about the weight of contemporary medium tanks. Initial armament consisted of a 37 mm gun M6 in a turret with a coaxial .30 inch machine gun and another .30 inch MG in the bow mount. By then it was clear that the anti-tank performance of the 37 mm gun was insufficient and the production version, the T18E2, which was named Boarhound by the British received the 57 mm gun M1, the US-manufactured variant of the British QF 6 pounder.

The United States Army had never shown interest in the vehicle. The British Army placed an order for 2,500 units, but high production costs and poor cross-country performance led to cancellation of the order after only 30 were delivered to North Africa. The T18 was never used widely in combat; however a number were made use of by defending bases of operation in North Africa, with a few even taking part in convoy operations. There are accounts that a limited few were refitted for special duties in the rear echelon as well. Late in 1942 orders were issued for upwards of some eight Boarhounds to be assigned to the 8th Army where they were used sparingly as supporting armored vehicles and, to some extent; in reconnaissance roles according to records at The National Archives (TNA) at Kew, West London. None are said to have seen heavy action.

The only surviving vehicle is displayed in The Tank Museum, Bovington, UK.